PARIS – France's prime minister announced he would seek tighter surveillance of convicted extremists Tuesday and reports emerged that the weapons used by a terror cell to kill 17 people came from outside the country.
In a rousing, indignant speech, Prime Minister Manuel Valls said "serious and very high risks remain" and warned the French not to let down their guard. He called for new surveillance of imprisoned radicals and told the interior minister to come up with new security proposals shortly.
Christophe Crepin, a French police union representative, said several people were being sought in relation to the "substantial" financing of the three gunmen. He said the weapons came from abroad and the amount spent plus the logistics of the attacks indicated an organized network.
French authorities were working to trace the source of the weapons funding, while in Bulgaria, a prosecutor said that a man already in custody had ties to one of the brothers who carried out the Charlie Hebdo newspaper massacre.
French police say as many as six members of the terrorist cell that carried out the Paris attacks may still be at large, including a man seen driving a car registered to the widow of one of the gunmen. The country has deployed 10,000 troops to protect sensitive sites, including Jewish schools and synagogues, mosques and travel hubs.
Honoring the victims
Earlier in the day, in ceremonies thousands of miles apart, France and Israel paid tribute to the attacks' victims.
At police headquarters in Paris, French President Francois Hollande paid tribute to the three police officers killed, placing Legion of Honor medals on their caskets.
Hollande vowed that France will be "merciless in the face of anti-Semitic, anti-Muslim acts, and unrelenting against those who defend and carry out terrorism, notably the jihadists who go to Iraq and Syria."
As Chopin's funeral march played in central Paris and the caskets draped in French flags were led from the building, a procession began in Jerusalem for the four Jewish victims.
Defying the bloodshed and terror of last week, a caricature of the prophet Mohammed is to appear Wednesday on the cover of the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, weeping and holding a placard with the words "I am Charlie." Above him is emblazoned: "All is forgiven" — which one writer said is meant to show that the survivors of the attacks forgave the gunmen.
"I think that those who have been killed, if they were here, they would have been able to have a coffee today with the terrorists and just talk to them, ask them why they have done this," columnist Zineb El Rhazoui told the BBC.
Renewed calls for calm
Two masked gunmen opened the onslaught in Paris with a Jan. 7 attack on the paper, singling out its editor and his police bodyguard for the first shots before killing 12 people in all. Ahmed Merabet, a French Muslim policeman, was one of the victims, killed as he lay wounded as the gunmen — brothers Said and Cherif Kouachi — escaped.
Charlie Hebdo, which lampoons religion indiscriminately, had received threats after depicting Mohammed before, and its offices were firebombed in 2011.
France's main Muslim organization called for calm, fearing that the new cartoon could reignite passions.
In a sign that courts were using laws against defending terrorism to their fullest extent, a man who had praised the terror attacks in a drunken rant to police was sentenced Monday to four years in prison.