Four Gophers won two matches Thursday at the NCAA Wrestling Championships in St. Louis to advance to the quarterfinals.
The biggest surprise was Tommy Thorn, the 14th seed at 141 pounds. The sophomore from St. Michael pinned Stanford’s Joey McKenna, the third seed, in overtime. Thorn is 19-7, McKenna 29-2.
Other second-round winners:
• Sophomore Ethan Lizak, seeded sixth at 125 pounds, beat Josh Terao of American 15-6 for a major decision.
• Senior Brett Pfarr, seeded second at 197, defeated Brad Johnson of Oklahoma 6-1. Pfarr placed third in this meet a year ago.
• Senior Michael Kroells, seeded eighth at heavyweight, edged Denzell Dejournette of Appalachian State 5-3 with a takedown in second overtime. It appeared Dejournette had won in regulation with a last-second escape, but the Gophers challenged the call and won the appeal.
• Sarah Bacon of the Gophers placed second (326.50 points) and Yu Zhou fourth (317.95) in 1-meter diving at the NCAA Women’s Swimming & Diving Championships in Indianapolis.
• Blake Bosch of Minnesota State Moorhead was named the NSIC Wrestler of the Year. The 133-pound senior from Wishek, N.D., was the NCAA Division II runner-up. St. Cloud State’s Steve Costanzo was named the conference’s Coach of the Year.