The newest list of Club Book authors coming to town includes some big national names, and some significant local writers as well. Novelist Stewart O’Nan, mystery writer Rita Mae Brown, and essayist Anne Fadiman will speak, as will local TV reporter Don Shelby, chef Lynne Rosetto Kasper and writer Julie Schumacher.
Here’s the full list of 10:
• Deborah Harkness, author of the best-selling “A Discovery of Witches,” which sold in more than 30 countries. Harkness is a history professor and the recipient of a Fulbright, Guggenheim, andNational Humanities Center fellowships. She will speak at 7 p.m. Jan. 18 at the Central Park Ampitheater, 8595 Central Park Place, Woodbury.
• Stewart O’Nan, author of “Last Night at the Lobster,” “Songs for the Missing,” and 11 other novels. His new book, “The Odds: A Love Story,” will be published in January. O’Nan will speak at 7 p.m. Feb. 1 at Southdale Library, 7001 York Av. S., Edina.
• Lynne Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift, host and producer of public radio’s “The Splended Table,” which is aired on more than 290 stations across the country. Kasper and Swift are also co-authors of “The Splendid Table’s How to Eat Supper,” and a new book, “The Splendid Table’s How to Eat Weekends.” They will speak at 7 p.m. April 3 at Prior Lake Library, 16210 Eagle Creek Pkway, Prior Lake.
• Rita Mae Brown, best-selling author of “Rubyfruit Jungle,” the “Mrs. Murphy” mysteries and the “Sister Jane” novels. She’ll speak at 7 p.m. April 10 at Galaxie Library, 14955 Galaxie Av., Apple Valley.
• Don Shelby, an Emmy Award-winning Twin Cities journalist and author of the recent memoir, “The Season Never Ends: Wins, Losses and Wisdom of the Court.” He’ll speak at 2 p.m. April 14 at the Rum River Library, 4201 6th Av., Anoka.
• Richard Louv, journalist and author of eight books, including “Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder.” His new book is “The Nature Principle: Human Restoration and the End of Nature-Deficit Disorder.” He’ll speak at 2 p.m. April 22 at Ridgedale Library, 12601 Ridgedale Dr., Minnetonka.
• Jennifer Holm, graphic novelist and author of “Babymouse,” illustrated by her brother, Matthew and the first graphic novel to win an ALA Notable Children’s Book award. She’s also a three-times Newbery Honor winner. She will speak at 7 p.m. April 24 at New Brighton Library, 400 10th St. N.W., New Brighton.
• David Rhodes, author of “Driftless” and “The Easter House,” among other novels. He’ll speak at 7 p.m. May 3 at Stillwater Public Library, 224 3rd St. N., Stillwater.
• Anne Fadiman, author of “The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down,” a nonfiction narrative account about a Hmong family in the United States whose daughter develops epilepsy. Fadiman is also an essayist, former editor of The American Scholar. Her work has appeared in the New Yorker, Harper’s and the New York Times. She will speak at 7 p.m. May 7 at the Highland Park Library Auditorium, 1974 Ford Pkwy, St. Paul.
• Julie Schumacher, author of “The Body is Water,” winner of a Minnesota Book Award and a finalist for a PEN/Hemingway Award. Schumacher teaches at the University of Minnesota and is also the author of a collection of short stories and several novels for young adults. She will read at 6:30 p.m. May 17 at Chanhassen Library, 7711 Kerber Blvd., Chanhassen.
Club Book is a free lecture series that brings well-known writers to public libraries throughout the metro — not just the core cities.
It is a program of the Metropolitan Library Service Agency, coordinated by the Friends of the Hennepin County Library and funded, in part, through the Legacy Fund.
Laurie Hertzel • 612-673-7302
|Books (35)||Movies (1)|
|Theater (1)||People (1)|
|Books and resources (5)||Awards (10)|
|Behind the scenes (3)||Book news (199)|
|Galleries (1)||Minnesota authors (12)|
|Museums (1)||St. Paul Como Park (1)|
|Television (1)||Author events (132)|
|Best sellers (6)||Book reviews (6)|
|Book stores (37)||Local authors (117)|
|Readings (50)||Book awards (67)|
|Illustrators (7)||Workshops and conferences (30)|
|Libraries (26)||Local publishers (30)|
|Minnesota Book Awards (7)||World Book Night (3)|
|Club Book (4)||Pen Pals (1)|
|Talk of the Stacks (2)||E-books (2)|
|Coffee House Press (2)||Graywolf Press (4)|
|Louise Erdrich (2)||Milkweed Editions (1)|
|Poetry (7)||Robert Bly (2)|