1. Treat the self-checkout line like an express lane: 10 items or fewer.
2. Unless you’ve memorized the codes of your favorite fruits and vegetables, don’t use a self-checkout when you have an abundance of produce.
3. If you have young children in tow, don’t even think about using the self-checkout line.
4. Don’t waste time looking for the bar code. Just slide the item across the scanner. If it doesn’t scan right away, flip it over and scan it again.
5. Use the regular checkout line if you have items that will require an attendant’s help — alcohol, spray paint, some over-the-counter medications.