Cramped, outdated bathroom was awkwardly divided; lacked workout space for exercise regimen recently prescribed for homeowner.THE SOLUTION
Remove maze of small rooms and reconfigure space to provide dressing and exercise areas as well as space for bathing.HOW IT HAPPENED • Painted newly opened space a crisp neutral. • Overlaid radiant heat pads with clean white floor tiles. • Installed soaker tub with waterproof LCD television and remote control; tiled adjacent area in white and dark taupe mosaic tile.
• Flanked tub with dark wood bookcases and cabinetry.
• Added barrier-free shower with body sprays, overhead and handheld showers.
• Constructed double vanity in dark wood with white quartz countertop.
• Installed oversize mirrors, polished stainless basins, wall-mounted faucets.
• Positioned elliptical trainer with heart-monitoring system in view of television, outdoors.
• Lightened space with chrome-disc chandelier over tub, sconces over vanity.BEST TRICK
Created multifunctional dressing room with shelving, drawers, clothes racks, built-in ironing board and washer and dryer.
Distributed by Scripps Howard News Service. Interior decorator Candice Olson hosts "Divine Design," which appears Thursdays at 8 p.m. and Saturdays at 9:30 p.m.