Rustic, uninsulated basement and drumming noise drove family away.THE SOLUTION
Create a dual space: the ultimate music room for playing and family room for relaxing.HOW IT HAPPENED
• Gutted space to remove pine paneling on the walls and cedar shakes on the ceiling.
• Insulated the walls, soundproofed ceiling; painted both.
• Ripped out carpet; installed linoleum with industrial look of poured concrete.
• Designed music zone for drumming husband, play space for the girls and family lounge area.
• Displayed snare drums on floating wall cabinet to work as design element when not in use.
• Created red feature wall with black quartz counter, wet bar, sink and beverage fridge.
• Replaced wood-burning fireplace with gas insert, clad in iridescent glass tiles.BEST TRICK
Erected white cabinetry in which girls can store toys and costumes; created white velvet drapes to keep cabinets out of sight when not in use.
Distributed by Scripps Howard News Service. Interior decorator Candice Olson hosts "Divine Design," seen Thursdays at 8 p.m. and Saturdays at 9:30 p.m.