The owner's farmhouse had a dated, 1980s-style kitchen with broken cabinets, old appliances and a bathroom that opened up to the cooking area.THE SOLUTION
Reconfigure the space for function as a kitchen, home office and dog lounge.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Took down walls, eliminated bathroom and cabinetry.
• Replaced windows with French doors that lead to the patio (not pictured).
• Brightened space with paint; added heated travertine floor tiles.
• Installed center kitchen island that houses recycling, a dishwasher and sink and doubles as an eating space.
• Added cream-colored cabinetry, quartz counters and stainless appliances.
• Created bar area along one wall with sink, wine cooler, built-in coffeemaker and fridge/freezer column.
• Set up pantry and counterspace at rear of kitchen for cooking.
• Added hip reflective silver foil wallpaper in office area.BEST TRICK
Office shelf disguises task lighting; desk provides shelter for dogs Maggie and Mollie.
Distributed by Scripps Howard News Service. Interior decorator Candice Olson hosts "Divine Design," which appears Thursdays at 8 p.m. and Saturdays at 9:30 p.m. Resource guide at www.divinedesign.tv. See episode1506.