COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Denmark's government said Thursday it is widening a Parliament-appointed probe into how police handled pro-Tibet protesters during a 2012 Chinese presidential visit to include all official visits from China for the past 23 years.
Justice Minister Soeren Pape Poulsen said questions have surfaced over how police tackled similar protesters during visits by Chinese leaders in 1995, 2002 and 2011.
During former President Hu Jintao's 2012 visit, police vans blocked demonstrators' view of the Chinese delegation and Tibetan flags were taken from demonstrators.
A 2015 investigation into the events concluded in December that police leaders had violated demonstrators' right to free speech. Two leading officers, who were in charge of the security, have since been transferred to other jobs. Eight protesters each were awarded compensations of 20,000 kroner ($3,160).
Prime Minister Lars Loekke Rasmussen said new information has emerged "and it doesn't look good." He did not elaborate.
Anders Hoejmark Andersen of the Danish Tibet Support Committee welcomed the move. He said "police did the opposite of what they were supposed to do, protect its citizens," he told The Associated Press.
"For years we have said that we were pushed away (when demonstrating) but we never had any evidence backing it up. It's good that we have it in writing now," Hoejmark Andersen said.
Earlier this month, Pape Poulsen received broad backing in Parliament for the probe after officials found copies of deleted emails that could shed light on who gave orders to block demonstrators in 2012.