FOND DU LAC, Wis. — Some residents of Fond du Lac were evacuated after a contractor struck a natural gas line.
Fond du Lac Fire and Rescue says fire crews were called just before 10 a.m. Wednesday after contractors replacing a house service hit the gas line, causing a leak.
Crews began canvassing the area to assess gas concentrations. Alliant Energy also responded.
Several residents were evacuated until the leak could be stopped. Alliant crews shut off gas service for about 30 customers.
Residents were allowed to return home after the area was determined to be safe. Gas service was expected to be restored Wednesday afternoon.