Metro area roads are awash with closures and detour signs, and this weekend construction spreads to the rails. Portions of both the Green Line and Blue Line will be shut down, as will Interstate 35W between downtown Minneapolis and the Crosstown.
Buses will fill in for Blue Line trains between Target Field and Franklin Avenue and on the Green Line from Target Field to Raymond Avenue from 6:15 p.m. Friday until 3:30 a.m. Monday. Crews will be improving lighting and repainting the Washington Avenue bridge.
A new wrinkle for downtown Minneapolis drivers will appear on Sunday. Crews will be reconfiguring westbound Interstate 94, which will drop from three lanes to two in the vicinity of the mammoth I-35W reconstruction project.
“The lane reduction could cause delays that people will want to leave plenty of extra time to navigate through or consider an alternate route,” said MnDOT spokesman David Aeikens.
Drivers heading to Duluth for Grandmas Marathon may not make good time. Along with heavy traffic, a bridge project between Rush City and Pine City has the potential to slow trips down. Locally, Northern Spark and the and Stone Arch Bridge art festivals will draw crowds. The Lynx are home at Target Center Saturday night.
Here is your road construction map and roundup:
1. Interstate 35W: Northbound closed until 5 a.m. Monday from Crosstown Hwy. 62 to Interstate 94. Southbound I-35W will be open to traffic south of 46th Street only. Ramp from southbound I-35W to 35th Street and the 24th Street pedestrian bridge closed.
2. Interstate 94: Westbound reduced to two lanes from Chicago Avenue to Nicollet Avenue starting Sunday.
3. Penn Avenue N.: Three closures related to construction of the C-Line bus rapid transit line are in place: 23rd to Lowry avenues, 17th to 21st avenues and 12th to 14th avenues.
4. Hennepin Avenue S. : Closed from 31st to 36th streets.
5. Wabasha Street: Closed from Plato Boulevard to Cesar Chavez Street due to a rock slide.
6. Snelling Avenue: Lane restrictions between Randolph Avenue and Ford Parkway.
7. Hwy. 149/Smith Avenue: The High Bridge over the Mississippi River is closed until December.
8. Hwy. 149/Dodd Road in West St. Paul: Closed for six weeks from Delaware Avenue to Hwy. 110.
9. Hwy. 95 in Afton: Closed between 40th and 70th streets.
10. Hwy. 95 in Stillwater: Closed both directions from Hwy. 36 to Nelson Street.
11. Hwy. 36 in Roseville: Various ramp closures between Cleveland and Hamline avenues.
12. Hwy. 10 in Elk River: Eastbound reduced to one lane and westbound to two lanes and sometimes one for between Joplin Street and Upland Avenue. Periodic lane closures in both directions from Hwy. 101 to Thurston Avenue.
13. Hwy. 169 in Champlin: Single lane traffic in both directions between Hwy. 610 and East Hayden Lake Road.
14. 66th Street in Richfield: Closed to through traffic between Girard and Xerxes avenues S. The project extends from Xerxes Avenue on the west end to 16th Avenue South on the east end.
15. Hwy. 3 in Inver Grove Heights: Closed in both directions between Rich Valley Boulevard and Hwy. 55.
16. Hwy. 41 in Chaska: Closed in both directions from Hundertmark Road and Pioneer Trail.
17. Flying Cloud Drive in Eden Prairie: Closed from Charlson Road and Spring Road