2015 australian open preview
What: First Grand Slam tennis tournament of the year
When, where: Sunday through Jan.31 at Melbourne Park
TV: ESPN, ESPN2, Tennis Channel
Last year: Stanislas Wawrinka beat Rafael Nadal in the men's singles final 6–3, 6–2, 3–6, 6–3 to win his first Grand Slam title. Now-retired Li Na won the women's title, beating first-time major finalist Dominika Cibulkova 7-6, 6-0.
men's top seeds
1. Novak Djokovic, Serbia
2. Roger Federer, Switzerland
3. Rafael Nadal, Spain
4. Stanislas Wawrinka, Switzerland
5. Kei Nishikori, Japan
6. Andy Murray, Britain
7. Tomas Berdych, Czech Republic
8. Milos Raonic, Canada
women's top seeds
1. Serena Williams, United States
2. Maria Sharapova, Russia
3. Simona Halep, Romania
4. Petra Kvitova, Czech Republic
5. Ana Ivanovic, Serbia
6. Agnieszka Radwanska, Poland
7. Eugenie Bouchard, Canada
8. Caroline Wozniacki, Denmark
• Top seeds Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams have won a combined nine singles titles at Melbourne Park.
• Rafael Nadal's appendix surgery in early November has left him uncertain of his match fitness. He'll have a tough first-round match against former top-10 player Mikhail Youzhny of Russia.
• Andy Murray, a three-time Australian Open finalist, seems to have recovered from back surgery late last year and a minor left shoulder complaint at the start of this one.
• Two-time winner Victoria Azarenka, unseeded after an injury-hit 2014, faces Sloane Stephens in the first round.