Cyber attack reported at Wells Fargo

  • Article by: DAVID SHAFFER , Star Tribune
  • Updated: September 26, 2012 - 10:40 AM

The attack provoked complaints on Tuesday, but the bank's website appeared to be loading on Wednesday.

hide

Photo: Reed Saxon, Associated Press - Ap

CameraStar Tribune photo galleries

Cameraview larger

Wells Fargo & Co. was working to protect its website Wednesday after being under cyberattack a day earlier.

"We apologize to customers who may be experiencing intermittent access issues to wellsfargo.com and online banking," the San Francisco-based bank said in an e-mailed statement. "We are working to quickly resolve this issue."

The bank said customers can still access their accounts through ATMs, stores and by phone.

The Wall Street Journal reported that 220 customers filed complaints with the bank Tuesday. A web-based site-tracking service called sitedown.co also reported many complaints, including that customers could not log in and that pages would not load.

The bank was not immediately available to respond to questions, though its main web pages appeared to be loading properly early Wednesday.

It was not clear who was behind the attack, although a group calling itself the "Cyber fighters of Izz ad-din Al qassam" announced last week on the web that it was behind earlier bank attacks in retaliation for the anti-Muslim movie produced in the United States.

David Shaffer ¶• 612-673-7090

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertisement
Golden Gavel by Star Tribune

Countdown to great deals

Bid Sept. 21-29

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close