MADISON, WIS. - When Ben Brust tied the score at the end of regulation with a shot from just inside midcourt, Mike Bruesewitz looked over at Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan and saw something unusual: His coach had both his arms in the air.

"You know when he shows some emotion, you've done something pretty special," Bruesewitz said.

Brust hit a tiebreaking three-pointer with less than 40 seconds left in overtime as the Badgers beat No. 3 Michigan 65-62 on Saturday.

"It was awesome, something I'll remember forever, and I'm sure a lot of people will," Brust said of the game, which ended with students storming the court and Bruesewitz taking the public address announcer's microphone to thank the crowd as fans celebrated around him.

Brust's shot at the end of regulation was a dramatic turn of events for Wisconsin (17-7, 8-3 Big Ten) and a soul-crusher for Michigan (21-3, 8-3).

Only moments earlier, Tim Hardaway Jr. hit a three with Bruesewitz in his face to put the Wolverines up 60-57 with 2.4 seconds left in regulation.

Following a timeout, Bruesewitz passed up Traevon Jackson, his first option in the inbounds play, and hit Brust in stride. The guard took one dribble across halfcourt and launched the shot from about 40 feet. It hit nothing but net.

Ryan said the play was drawn up to see how Michigan defended the first cutter, Brust read the defense and reacted.

"The best thing was Mike's pass on the dime on the run, didn't have to reach back for it, able to catch it all in one motion," Ryan said.

Michigan still had fouls to give before the shot, and coach John Beilein said the order coming out of the timeout was to foul. He also put Caris LeVert on Brust to bolster the defense.

"We were definitely fouling, wanted to keep everyone in front of us and [Brust] turned the corner on [LeVert] just enough that he couldn't foul him," Beilein said.

For all the fireworks in the final three seconds, the teams only managed seven points in overtime, including Brust's go-ahead three.