Eagan’s Parks and Recreation Department has received $5,000 through a grant from the Metropolitan Regional Arts Council for “Art … Be A Part!”, featuring guest artists workshops, Artist Connect activities, and the annual Harvest of Art exhibit and open house. The activities will take place from now through December.

The grant was awarded through a competitive process with money from legislative appropriations and/or the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund of the Clean Water, Land, and Legacy Amendment. The organizations and projects were chosen for demonstrating strong artistic quality and a connection to a community.



Candidates sought for soil and water board

Two seats are coming open on a board that manages soil and water programs at the local level, and the candidate filing period will run from May 20 through June 3.

The seats on the Dakota County Soil and Water Conservation District board will appear on the election ballot in November. One seat will go to a resident of Burnsville, Eagan, Inver Grove Heights, Lilydale, Mendota, Mendota Heights, South St. Paul, Sunfish Lake or West St. Paul, and the second to a resident of Hastings or Vermillion or the townships of Nininger, Ravenna, Marshan and Vermillion.

The conservation district meets monthly.

An affidavit of candidacy form is available from the Dakota County Election and Voter Registration Department. There is a $20 filing fee. For more information, see www.co.dakota.mn.us call 651-438-4380.


Byllesby reservoir level to be raised starting May 15

Dakota County officials plan to refill the Lake Byllesby reservoir along the county’s southern edge to its summer elevation beginning May 15.

In the fall, the reservoir level is lowered three feet to 853.7 feet above sea level and remains there until May 15, when refilling to the summer elevation of 856.7 feet is permitted to start. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources sets these seasonal lake levels to make it easier for farmers to get into their low-lying fields in the spring and to allow for water-related recreation in the summer.

Raising the reservoir level requires county employees to access the top of the spillway and manually lift and set the trip gates, which is only possible when there is little or no water flowing over the spillway. If it’s not possible to raise the gates May 15, they will be raised at the earliest possible date afterward.

One Tax Day behind, another lies ahead

A month after April 15 came and went, it’ll be time for the other Tax Day. Property taxes on Dakota County real estate for the first half of the year are due on May 15.

Property taxes can be paid online, by phone or by mail, or in person at the county government centers in Hastings, Apple Valley and West St. Paul.

For more information, call the Dakota County Property Information line at 651-438-4576 or see www.dakotacounty.us and search pay property taxes.



Boaters asked to observe no-wake zone in high water

The city of Hastings is asking boaters to follow a voluntary no-wake zone when the Mississippi River reaches high water levels, especially in an area between the train bridge and the East Side residential area. Many homeowners in that area are affected by the heavy wake created when boats speed by when the river is high.

High water levels naturally create property damage through shoreline erosion, the city says, and boat wakes can worsen the damage.

“We’ve got residents in that area who need a little common courtesy,” said City Council Member Tony Along. “We all share the river, which means we all share responsibility for doing the right thing.”


Prostate cancer group will meet May 8

The University of Minnesota prostate cancer support group will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, May 8, at Hope Lodge, 2500 University Av. SE, Minneapolis.

Dr. Christopher Weight, a urologist from the university, will speak to the group, and a question and answer segment will follow. Wives, family and friends are welcome to attend. There is no charge, parking is free, and light refreshments will be served. For more information, call 612-388-3588.