Len Druskin and California Closets and Russell + Hazel are the latest locally-owned retailers to leave the Galleria. California Closets left last month,saying in an email that it is temporarily doing business out of its Bloomington offices until a new location can be confirmed. The Galleria location was in the lower level of the Galleria near Len Druskin.
Russell + Hazel announced Tuesday that it too is leaving the Galleria as soon as June. The high-end office and classroom products company will re-locate to the North Loop in Minneapolis. R+H is a short-timer to the Galleria, having opened a small storefront in 2014 after moving from 44th and France.
Michael Druskin announced in an email Tuesday that the Galleria designer clothing store for men and women is moving to Southdale next week after 24 years in the Galleria. "With the end of the Galleria lease came a very difficult decision making process. After so many wonderful years at Galleria, both Galleria/Hines and Len Druskin agreed that this change was in the best interest of both parties."
In its new Southdale store, Druskin will return to all premium merchandise instead of a mix of premium and clearance product. The Len outlet store will remain in Southdale adjacent to the new location with premium full-priced merchandise. The new store for men and women will open Tuesday, Feb. 8 and the Galleria location will close Sat., Feb. 6. All fall/winter merchandise in the Galleria is now 75% off and the remainder is discounted 25 percent.
In December, Gabberts CEO Rod Johansen indicated that the higher-end furniture store is considering a move out of the Galleria too as it considers literally raising the roof in its Galleria store. If that isn't allowed by Edina city planners, the company is “committed to staying in the local area to continue Gabberts’ 67-year history,” Johansen said.
The Galleria has a string local tenants moving out or closing as Hines has changed the mix of the center. Epitome and Epitome Papers closed early this year. In 2015 Brass Handle left, preceded by Three Rooms, Pappagallo, and Whymsy. Que Sera, Rocco Altobelli Salon and Schmitt Music closed or moved prior to Hines' ownership.
Most have been replaced with national tenants, including David Yurman, Sundance, Lululemon, North Face, Kate Spade and PB Teen. Galleria Edina is home to 65 retailers – more than half of which are locally owned. Galleria recently completed a number of lease renewals with local retailers, including Ampersand, Melly, HOBO, Dugo, Scheherazade, Twill and Art Resources.