What’s making news in Minneapolis, reported by the Star Tribune’s team of city reporters. Send news tips to baird.helgeson@startribune.com.

Posts about Politics and government

Minneapolis cuts graffiti cleanup funds

Posted by: Updated: December 26, 2014 - 3:26 PM

By Erin Golden

Star Tribune Staff Writer

Minneapolis residents will have to be more vigilant about fighting graffiti in the new year.

Residents have always been responsible for removing graffiti from their property, but in recent years the city has provided help through a handful of prevention and cleanup efforts. Those programs, however, were cut from next year’s budget -- prompting the city to send notices to some residents, reminding them that they’ll need to take care of graffiti on their own.

The city won’t be funding its “Innovative Graffiti Prevention” micro grant program, which helped neighborhood groups with public art projects that were meant to deter graffiti. In recent years, the city budgeted amounts ranging from $75,000 to $150,000 for projects like utility box art wraps in the Longfellow neighborhood, a mural and graffiti patrol around Cedar-Riverside and anti-graffiti education programs in Powderhorn Park.

Since 2008 -- with the exception of 2010, when the program was not offered -- the city has funded an average of 11 projects per year, which each receiving up to $10,000.

Meanwhile, the city will also be cutting a program that helped property owners clean up gang-related or obscene graffiti that was located within five feet of the public right of way. The city didn’t set aside a specific amount of money, but provided cleanup at no charge to property owners.

Finally, it has also dropped a three-year-old “Graffiti Shadow Program,” which provided a second notice to property owners who had been notified about removing graffiti and failed to do so. The program also funded the cost of a second inspection.

Casper Hill, a spokesman for the city, said property owners are notified about graffiti by mail and have seven days to clean it up. If that doesn’t happen, the city can paint over the mess and bill the property owner.

“As always, it’s the responsibility of property owners to remove graffiti from their vandalized properties,” he said.

The $1.2 billion budget passed by the council earlier this month includes just over $1 million for documenting and removing graffiti around the city. That’s down slightly from the line item in this year’s budget, which provided $1.3 million.

Graffiti is the most common problem reported on the city’s 311 phone line, with the largest number of complaints coming from south Minneapolis.

Rinks will open when Ma Nature says so

Posted by: Steve Brandt Updated: December 19, 2014 - 5:38 PM


You can’t hurry Mother Nature, so Minneapolis park officials are prepping ice skaters that rinks likely won’t be open by their scheduled start date on Monday, the first day of the school holiday recess.

But Edina's Centennial Lakes Park has been open for skating for much of December.
 
According to the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, its crews need 10 consecutive days when the temperature stays at 20 degrees or colder in order to flood and open rinks.

But according to long-term weather averages for Minneapolis, there’s no stretch during the winter when that happens. The coldest stretch is from Jan. 11-17, when the daily high averages 21 degrees. The average is no higher than 22 degrees from Dec. 31 to Jan. 25.

Of course, weather varies from averages. Rinks opened on Dec. 21 last year. (Photo: That's Cece Magill trying lsles on opening day) . But recent temps have remained below the Park Board’s ice-making threshold only once in the last 10 days, and they’re not forecast to stay below that level in the next week.

The Park Board operates 47 rinks for skating, broomball, and hockey at 23 parks.  It said it hopes to have some open by the end of the month. The status of each rink can be viewed online. That shows no rinks open but you can sign up for e-mailed updates.

Can’t wait?  Try Lake of the Isles if you’re hardy enough.  The warming house isn’t open -- and neither is the rink officially -- but the ice has been thick to hold ice-flooding equipment and hockey boards have been installed.  It's shallow, like Centennial Lakes, so it freezes faster.

Don’t tell ‘em we sent you.

MPRB OKs downtown park deal despite pleas

Posted by: Steve Brandt Updated: December 17, 2014 - 9:09 PM

Minneapolis park commissioners voted Wednesday to assume the role of absentee landlord for a planned downtown park to be built near the Vikings stadium, despite efforts by a flock of speakers to tie bird-safe glass to the issue.

The 7-2 vote means that the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board will take ownership -- in name only -- of the planned park of less than two city blocks. The proposal needed a super majority of six votes because it involves buying the land -- for a token $1 -- as well as leasing it back to the city for between 30 and 50 years. The City Council approved it last week.

The vote followed pleas from 21 speakers that the agreement be conditioned on installing bird-safe glass in the $1 billion stadium. Supporters said locating a park virtually next-door to the reflective glass of the stadium would create conditions that would draw migratory birds to smash into the building's 200,000 square feet of glass.

"It's cruel, it's gory and it's sad," said Michelle Schroeder, one speaker. Proponents of glass that's more visible to birds have taken their case to Gov. Mark Dayton and to the Minnesota Sports Facilities Commission without winning their requested substitution that costs an estimated $1.1 million. The team has said it will work with 3M to test a film that might make the glass safer, but opponents say they doubt how real that product is.

Commissioners voting for the sale-leaseback arrangement were Meg Forney, John Erwin, Steffanie Musich, Jon Olson, Anita Tabb, Scott Vreeland and Liz Wielinski. They generally argued that the Park Board can't force changes in the design of a stadium negotiated by the team and the authority. The park deal was opposed by Annie Young and Brad Bourn.

An effort by Bourn to send the deal back to committee to develop new terms for the park failed for lack of a second. The Park Board months ago passed a resolution urging bird-safe glass be incorporated in the stadium.

The park agreement is intended to meet a legal requirement in the city charter -- reinforced by a judge a year ago in an aborted challenge to the stadium -- that the Park Board has authority for parks in the city.  The $1 sale to the Park Board will take place by mid-2016 after Ryan Companies finishes construction in the area. The leasing of the land back to the city allows it to have a third-party conservancy oversee use of the park.

The Park Board refused earlier this year to develop and run the park due to the expected cost of maintaining it and the estimated 80 days per year when it would be reserved for use by the team or the authority, under a deal negotiated by the city.

Proponents of the sale-lease said the upside is that decades from now the Park Board will have a substantial downtown park after the deal expires. They said that turning down the arrangement would mean the city would go ahead with the park, forcing the park system to sue to preserve its charter authority.

But bird advocates pressed with arguments for hinging the deal on changing to bird-safe glass.  "No one has more responsibility to protect migratory birds than you," state Rep. Phyllis Kahn, DFL-Minneapolis, told commissioners. "It will become a killing field for birds."

"To say you have no power is a copout," Kahn said. "'No' is a very powerful word and you should use it."

     

MPCA narrows riverfront particle search

Posted by: Steve Brandt Updated: December 16, 2014 - 9:40 AM

The search for firms contributing to a recent air quality violation in the upper riverfront of Minneapolis is narrowing to a smaller number of firms, according to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.

The agency reported in late November that its air quality monitor located just off the river’s West Bank  south of the Lowry Avenue Bridge had twice recorded violations of the state limit for total airborne particles.

Further examination found that iron particles made up the preponderance of airborne metal particles collected by the agency’s sampler, not surprising considering the number of metal recycling firms in the area.

Jeff Smith, director of the agency’s industrial division said it is currently looking at six to 10 firms within a one-quarter mile radius of the sampler as potential contributors to the particulates.  It’s now collecting information from them about their outdoor operations during the late October and early November sampling when the violations were recorded.

“Everyone within that quarter-mile range, we’re looking at very closely,” Smith said. He said the agency wouldn't discuss specific firms as potential violators during this investigative phase.

The violations were recorded little more than three weeks after the MPCA added monitoring for total particles to its sampling station in October.  It previously ad been checking for more harmful finer particles hourly since the start of 2013. The total particle count is a 24-hour sample collected every six days.

Smith said the agency’s goal is to reach company-by-company agreements for corrective action that will be transparent to all firms operating in the area.

The two violations haven’t been repeated to date, Smith said.  But they’re already causing changes in monitoring.  The initial plan was to stop monitoring for total particles by the end of this year, but Smith said monitoring will continue for at least a year.

Deal ends Uptown apartment pumping by March 31

Posted by: Steve Brandt Updated: December 15, 2014 - 4:51 PM

A proposed agreement to halt the pumping of groundwater from an Uptown luxury apartment building into the Minneapolis Chain of Lakes was outlined Monday afternoon in Hennepin County District Court.

The tentative agreement calls for Lake and Knox LLC, the owner of the 57-unit apartment at 1800 W. Lake St., to cease pumping groundwater by March 31, by which time it expects to have filled its lower parking level before letting it flood.

The building’s pumps annually send 90 million gallons of groundwater to a nearby lagoon. That’s enough to fill the seating area of Target Center.

The city of Minneapolis and the Park Board a year ago sued the building’s owners, arguing that the groundwater pumping was both illegal and harmed the quality of nearby waters, particularly Lake Calhoun and the lagoon between Calhoun and Lake of the Isles. Judge Philip D. Bush ruled the pumping illegal on three different grounds.

The Park Board is not a party to the settlement, and its attorney, Brian Rice, is scheduled to discuss its litigation with the board in a closed session on Wednesday.  It is seeking damages to offset the impact of extra algae-feeding phosphorus that city and park experts say is carried by the pumped water into the lake.

“We’re very pleased with this settlement,” Rice told Bush.

The general agreement hammered out by attorney Charles Nauen, representing the city, and Del Ehrich, for Lake and Knox, now will fleshed out. It’s expected to be submitted to the City Council for approval in mid-January, and then submitted to Bush for formal approval.

“It appears this is a workable solution to a difficult solution,” Bush said after hearing the tentative agreement.

The deal calls for the building owner to reimburse the city $130,709 for extra sewer cleaning and to reroute the pumped water from the lagoon out onto Calhoun to minimize unsafe ice conditions for the City of Lakes Loppet ski races. It will also pay about $75,000 more for rerouting the flow in the coming winter.

Lake and Knox said in court filings that it plans to use valet parking temporarily and build a new underground ramp next-door within a year to replace the parking it loses when the bottommost of two basement levels of parking in the building floods. That level was built below the water table; Lake and Knox is now seeking damages from several of its technical consultants on the apartment project, which was completed in 2011.

The replacement parking is outside the scope of the agreement, but Lake and Knox said it is crucial to replace parking to keep tenants and enough cash flow to finance the work.  It plans to remove mechanical and electrical components from the lower parking level, fill it with sand and gravel and then seal it off from remaining basement parking. The firm said that work is crucial to ensuring the building remains stable. It estimates the work will cost about $1.2 million, while adding new parking is expected to cost about $2 million.

“This is a big construction project, lot of moving pieces.  Everybody expects it will be implemented,” said Ehrich.

“It is turning the basement into a much deeper footing for the building,” Bush said. He’ll keep jurisdiction over the implementation of the deal if disputes arise.  Nauen said the deal contains a clause allowing for act of God delays.

 

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT