Joe Christensen covered Major League Baseball for 15 years, including three seasons at the Baltimore Sun and eight at the Star Tribune, before switching to the college football beat. He’s a Faribault, Minn., native who graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1996. He covered Jim Wacker’s Gophers for the Minnesota Daily and also wrote about USC, UCLA and the Rose Bowl for the Riverside Press-Enterprise before getting this chance to cover football again.
Email Joe to talk about the Gophers.
I was over on campus for the half hour's worth of practice the Gophers allow us in the media to see and came away with a few things of note:
1. Punter Dan Orseske, fresh off his medical redshirt (remember, he got mono early last season) was absolutely booming the ball during warmups. I mean booming.
2. Here was the first-string offensve line, from left tackle to right tackle: Dom Alford, Chris Bunders, D.J. Burris, Matt Carufel, Jeff Wills.
3. The starting defensive line, on Day 1: Defensive ends Ra'Shede Hageman and D.L. Wilhite with tackles Jewhan Edwards and Brandon Kirksey.
4. Cornerbacks were Michael Carter and Ryan Collado.
5. The linebackers: Mike Rallis on the strong side, Gary Tinsley in the middle, Keanon Cooper on the weak side.
ETC: Shady Salamon is now permanently at safety. It looks like the Gophers might move Hageman inside on some plays. Anthony Jacobs looks to be a DT now.
|Sports (4)||Football (9)|
|College football (560)||Vikings (1)|
|Bowl games (13)||Gopher coaches (68)|
|Gopher quarterbacks (50)||Gopher recruiting (27)|
|Gopher road games (18)||Gophers disciplinary action (9)|
|Gophers injuries (38)||Gophers on TV (3)|
|Gophers preseason practice (47)||Gophers recruiting (21)|
|Gophers spring football (60)||TCF Bank Stadium (8)|
|The Big 10 (48)||NCAA: football (5)|
|Gophers game day (73)||Gophers postgame (48)|
|NCAA (14)||Gophers awards and honors (9)|
|Gophers post season (6)||Gophers roster moves (15)|
|Coaching (43)||Gophers player capsules (12)|