ACWORTH, Ga. — Authorities in Georgia say a 31-year-old woman who died from a methamphetamine overdose accidentally smothered her 8-month-old son.
Cherokee County Sheriff's spokesman Jay Baker said in a statement Friday that the bodies of Holly Whitley and her son were found in a home July 17.
Citing Baker, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Whitley died from a lethal amount of methamphetamine in her system. He says her body came to rest on top of her infant, causing the child to be smothered.
Authorities had been called to the residence after a family member said they hadn't been able to get in contact with the woman. The woman's 2-year-old daughter was found unharmed in the home and is with family members.