1. There are three lifts used in powerlifting: bench press, dead lift and squat (in which the barbell is resting on the lifter’s shoulders). In competitive meets, the one who lifts the most combined weight in all three events wins.
2. What’s lifted: weighted plates stacked onto barbells. Each plate ranges from a fraction of a kilogram to as much as 50 kilograms.
3. Use your butt when lifting. Explains trainer Jen Sinkler: “That’s your engine, your powerhouse. All your speed, power and strength reside in your backside.”
4. Various dead lifting stances come with wacky names: Jefferson, Sumo and Double Suitcase, to name a few.
5. Marilyn Monroe owed her famous figure in part to lifting.