Star Tribune photo by Renee Jones Schneider
Any serious Taylor Swift fan knows she’s obsessed with the number 13. Her Twitter account is @TaylorSwift13. She paints "13" on her right hand every night. The AC/DC-evoking giant bells in her concert are inscribed with the Roman numeral "XIII."
So here are 13 additional thoughts about Taylor’s concert Tuesday at Xcel Energy Center — after I filed my review:
1. The coolest part about her flying over the fans in that window balcony during "Love Story" was that she sailed over the side sections, not just the main floor. Take that Justin Bieber.
2. The sound was too bright early in the show.
3. She did 13 of the 14 songs on her current album "Speak Now."
4. She did not do some of her early, most anger hits including "Picture to Burn" and "Should’ve Said No," as well as "Teardrops on My Guitar."
5. Her softer voice is very appealing, especially on the poignant "Last Kiss."
6. Writing "Love has a thousand faces" on your arm— even in really cool script — is so, like, high school.
7. The presentation of "Haunted" — with giant bells, aerial acrobats, etc. — was too busy and dramatic. The song got lost in all the fury and frenzy.
8. Taylor wore several different outfits, the best of which was a short purple dress (with her hair in a ponytail). Two different outfits that were light gold, which is not her best color onstage.
9. Said it before and I’ll say it again: She’s a better songwriter than a singer. But her performing chops have improved.
10. Stick with one — not two — opening acts so the concert ends by 10 p.m., especially since her audience is getting younger and younger even though her music is maturing. The 4-year-old girl in front of me slept through most of Taylor’s two-hour set, which was more a reflection on her parents than on Taylor’s performance.
11. She did not introduce her band members by name. They deserve recognition.
12. The ending of "Love Story" almost made it seem as if Taylor was the princess in a fairytale. Hey, she didn’t do "Today Was a Fairytale," either.
13. Here is what she did. The promised set list: Sparks Fly/ Mine/ The Story of Us/ Our Song/ Mean/ Back to December > abbreviated version of Apologize (One Republic)> You’re Not Sorry/ Better Than Revenge/ Speak Now/ Fearless (with a snippet of Jason Mraz’s I’m Yours)/ Last Kiss/ You Belong with Me/ Dear John/ Enchanted/ Haunted/ Long Live ENCORE Fifteen/ Love Story