LOS ANGELES — The Los Angeles City Council approved a $12 million settlement on Tuesday with the family of an Italian honeymooner who was killed when a driver barreled down the popular Venice Beach Boardwalk.
The settlement came after the family's attorney, Greg Bentley, said city officials "knew for years that unauthorized vehicles were driving on the boardwalk posing danger to the public, yet did nothing to prevent this dangerous access."
Alice Gruppioni was killed and 17 pedestrians and merchants along the boardwalk were injured in the August 2013 crash.
Gruppioni's family sued the city, accusing officials of failing to install proper barriers to stop cars from driving on the boardwalk. The parents said in a statement that "no amount of money will ever bring back our beautiful Alice."
In addition to the settlement with Gruppioni's family, the City Council approved a $2 million settlement to be split by three people injured in the crash.
Prosecutors said the driver had steered his dark blue Dodge Avenger around poles and accelerated through one of the city's top tourist attractions. Witnesses said the man had been smiling and had swerved to strike people.
The driver, Nathan Campbell, was sentenced in 2015 to serve 42 years to life in prison. During his sentencing, Campbell told the judge that he knew he had taken a life and caused lasting emotional trauma but claimed it was unintentional and said he exercised poor judgment.